Andrews Research & Education Institute: Education Initiatives
Educating the medical community and general public is key component to support AREI’s mission. Surgeons and physicians from around the world attend events held at AREI to learn the newest surgical techniques and methodologies from experts. AREI also hosts a number of community events to educate the public on the latest health care trends and injury prevention techniques.
Educating the Medical Community
We provide doctors, residents and fellows hands-on training in the latest surgical techniques. Advanced technology and full connectivity throughout AREI impact how doctors learn about and successfully treat injuries and disorders. Participants can learn both by watching and following live procedures as they are broadcast into our conference rooms and laboratory.
AREI has a network of physicians that provide expertise and counsel to others across the country and internationally to help those in need receive the best medical care for their respective conditions. We offer training throughout the year to physicians, residents, interns, and visiting medical personnel located throughout the United States and abroad. In addition, AREI has passes nearly 16,000 square feet of dedicated research laboratories and education and conference facilities. AREI houses three distinct research laboratory facilities instrumented with state-of-the-art research instrumentation.
AREI has established an ACGME Accredited Sports Medicine Fellowship Program. The fellowship program is a post-residency training program that prepares Fellows to be the leaders in the field of orthopaedic sports medicine for the remainder of their careers.
AREI is committed to disseminating the latest information to the general public and target groups to prevent injuries and promote wellness. We provide a number of free services to the community to address these needs. They include:
- Distribution of a 14-minute DVD “Heads-Up: Reducing the Risk of Catastrophic Head and Neck Injuries in Football” to 21,000 high schools.
- Annual Coaches Clinic with Division 1 football coaches and high school football coaches from the southern United States.
- Weightlifting Injury Prevention seminars for adolescent and high school athletes. The goal is to teach the proper weightlifting techniques in order to avoid injuries.
- The Andrews Institute is an official Sports Partner with USA Football, the official youth football development partner of the NFL and NFL Players Association. The Andrews Institute provides health and safety information for the USA Football web site and magazine.
- Study finds residents of low-income neighborhoods have severe musculoskeletal pain – 10/20/2014
- Study finds men's bone health is weaker than women's – 10/10/2014
- Scientists locate active genes in muscles of men and women – 10/6/2014
- Researchers investigate fluid that causes joint infections – 10/6/2014
- Journal supplement discusses past, present and future of sports concussions – 9/29/2014